College stigmas: Dropping Out


So my first week back in college was.. Well im not gonna lie to you, it was actually horrendous. Just an update on me for you because its been a while since i blogged. Im now in second year of Media & Public and Relations and i had my first daunting week of introductory lectures and im not gonna lie, it scared me. I've so many worries going through my head about it. "Am i gonna be able for the work load". "Will i be able to study it" "What if i miss the important lecture because of other college commitments" "What if im shit at this module"... So many questions! 

This year is very different so far. For one, i absolutely LOVE my classmates, they’re all a sound bunch and it’s not a competition of who’s going to be the best and most successful. 

Now.. The reason i titled this stereotypes and stigmas is because there is a certain stigma attached to the term "college dropout". Im not saying im going to drop out, but i will admit im not really liking the course and haven't been for quite some time now. Its extremely difficult to motivate yourself to go into a 9am lecture to a module that you hate. Its also difficult to tell people back at home that you're not really liking your course and because i live in a tiny little village, news spreads like wildfire. I think i speak on everyone's behalf when I say that its easier to tell people the course is going "great" and "yes, i like it". Here, Everybody likes to be in each others business. So there is a stigma for sure that comes to people who have left their course and dropped out. People need to realise that college is just not for everyone! You can do as many courses as you like, Go to as many lectures as you want but for a lot, college just aint for them. Its expensive. Its unsatisfying at times and its shit Craic having assignments due that have a very high percentage for your final grade and there's a lot of pressure from parents back home expecting good grades. My course is a bit of everything. So if I’m going to apply for a job In Marketing, I’ve only done Marketing in second year and only a couple of hours a week, or if I want to apply for something in digital media, I only do digital media a couple of times a week. There are some things in the course that aren’t going to cement that degree for me and look good on my CV. It’s a huge huge worry for me.  So college is not as glamorous as it seems. It frustrates me when people say us college students have such an easy life. Fair enough we don't have to pay mortgages or have to worry about children or who’s gonna mind the kids while we’re in clllege (well some students have to worry about this) and also Its hard going into a big house not knowing if you'll get along with anyone or if you'll end up hating your course or end up broke and not able to pay your bills, fend for yourself and even have a social life.

I did contemplate dropping out but until it gets to the point where i intellectually cannot do the work given, im Gonna stay tipping away at the course and try & enjoy it. I recently spoke to a girl who dropped out and she never looks back because she was so unhappy at the time. She struggled everyday and the more lectures she missed, the more difficult it became for her to make up for the class and catch up. I guess the point im making is, if you're really unhappy in your course, then fuck it. Fuck the people back in your town it village. Fuck the people who never went to college but will judge you for dropping out, at least you gave it a go. At least you can say you went and you tried it out for a while but you just hated it. Because i actually have so much respect for people who can say that. 

Special shout out to the lady i spoke to about it. It takes a lot for someone to mentally come to that decision and physically remove herself from there. I know I wouldn’t ever have the balls to. 

When it comes to situations like this, its your own happiness and future in your hands that only you can control, not anybody else. If you're going to be happier elsewhere, then go for it. 

Some people who haven’t got a college degree are more successful than those who have. College isn’t for everybody so don’t judge. 

- Meg

Comments

Popular Posts